A hundred years or so ago I bought a Utopia. It was never flown but needed some TLC to get back into flying standard again. Yesterday I picked it up and took a closer look at it.

Yes, one broken leading edge and fittings brittle as crisp. TodayI decided to see if I could fix it and equipped with a few rods, bits and pieces I was good to go.

I started replacing the leading edges. Unfortunately I didn’t have a pair of the original Dynamic rods, so I had to go for a substitute. No problems. However, they were too narrow for the original lower parts of the LEs so I had to make replacements for them as well.

LE finished and then it was time to replace most of the original an very brittle fittings. I couldn’t find exactly what I wanted, but managed to find parts I could use anyhow.

Assembly is far from straight forward. The Utopia is a unique kite consistent of two sails, several tensioning chords and adjustment points. But finally I managed to put it together looking more or less like expected.

But the bridle couldn’t be correct. Very tight and giving the kite a very wrong angle of attack. Definitely not flyable. Weird.

Then I figured it out. The bridle leg supposed to be connected to the LEs lower spreader connector was totally in the wrong place. After correcting it, everything looked fine and the Utopia is now ready to fly!

The Utopia
The Utopia

hot stuff!

Danish Quad Kite Clinic

Dragør, Denmark, Sept 8th-9th 2018

All day access to instruction on both days of this fun and educational workshop covering all aspects of quad line flying in Dragør, Denmark.

Schedule is 10am to 4pm each day, Quad Line 101 starts on Saturday at 10am sharp.

Nordic Kite Meeting '19

Blokhus, Denmark, June 3rd-10th 2019

Join us at the 21st Nordic Kite Meeting next year!

* Bootcamp june 3rd-6th
* Windfestival june 8th-9th


Just Fly!

Privacy & Cookies

By using this website you accept our Privacy Policy. Here you can read about how to use our Privacy Tools.

This site uses cookies. By using this website you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see our Cookie Policy

Important Links


© 1998-2018 - This website is created by AERIALIS Web & Media and running on Worpress and the free Astra theme

To the top
%d bloggers like this: